The Dhahan Prize Youth Award is an initiative created by The Dhahan Prize in partnership with BC secondary schools, in particular, L.A. Matheson Secondary, Surrey School District. The purpose of this unique creative writing prize is to encourage the youth of B.C. to embrace the rich Punjabi culture of the generations of families who have immigrated to Canada, specifically in British Columbia, through creative writing in the Punjabi language.
The Dhahan Prize Youth Award has been fortunate to have been embraced by several partners. Our presenting sponsor, Coast Capital Savings, is committed to building a richer future for the youth of British Columbia and as such have made this wonderful commitment to support the Dhahan Prize Youth Award.
Through the writings of the participants, in Punjabi & English, a greater understanding will be created among the youth of British Columbia; thus building bridges between people and communities of various ethnicities.
The Dhahan Prize Youth Award awards 8 youth who are currently enrolled in grade 11 or 12 Punjabi language classes with a $500 cash prize. There are two classifications for the Youth Award: Intermediate Skill and Advanced Skill.
2018 saw an increase of submissions, 41 in all, from six British Columbian schools. Congratulations to all students who submitted their stories and especially to our winners. Our gratitude goes to the Punjabi teachers who supported and encouraged their students to participate.
ADVANCED CATEGORY WINNERS:
- Banpreet K. Athwal, Queen Elizabeth Secondary Surrey
- Joban S. Samra, Princess Margaret Secondary Surrey
- Manjot S. Khaira, L.A. Matheson Secondary Surrey
- Prabhjot Vashisht, L.A. Matheson Secondary Surrey
INTERMEDIATE CATEGORY WINNERS:
- Ammjot S. Sidhu, Dasmesh Punjabi School Abbotsford
- Ekam Banipal, Dasmesh Punjabi School Abbotsford
- Gurkamal Sandhu, Queen Elizabeth Secondary Surrey
- Janvi Bhatia, North Delta Secondary Delta