2022 Youth Award submissions opening soon
The American / British poet and essayist T.S. Eliot wrote:
For last year’s words belong to last year’s language, and next year’s words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning.
While Covid-19 continues to impact our daily lives, we are delighted to announce the launch of the 2021 Dhahan Prize Youth Award contest. BC grade 11 and 12 students taking Punjabi language courses are welcome to submit their short stories by May 31, 2021. This Award is made possible by our sponsor Coast Capital Savings and our partner LA Matheson Secondary.
We are witnessing amazing resiliency in our communities during these times of uncertainty. We have come together to protect one another and have a stronger sense of community and belonging. This will shine through the tales the youth weave and the images they paint with words. Despite being physically distanced, their words will bring us closer together, communities will further be bridged, and understanding will be fostered through this shared, relatable experience. We truly look forward to coming together once again this year to celebrate youth and all their creativity expressed through the Punjabi language.
See link below for Youth Award application.Dhahan Prize – 2021 Youth Prize Poster (Download)
Dhahan Prize – 2019 Youth Award for Creative Writing; a British Columbia-wide Initiative
It has long been the desire of The Prize to include youth in its family through a youth specific creative writing prize, the Dhahan Prize Youth Award. The 2017 inaugural project was a great success with 29 qualifying entries submitted from 6 different schools. The presenting sponsor, Coast Capital Savings, has agreed to continue their support by funding the 3rd annual 2019 Youth Awards. Coast Capital Savings is committed to building a richer future for the youth of British Columbia and as such have made this wonderful commitment to support the Dhahan Prize Youth Award. Through the writings of the participants, in Punjabi & English, a greater understanding will be created among the youth of British Columbia; thus building bridges between people and communities of various ethnicities.
The Dhahan Prize Youth Award is an initiative created by The Dhahan Prize in partnership with BC secondary schools, in particular, L.A. Matheson Secondary, Surrey School District. The purpose of this unique creative writing award is to encourage the youth of B.C. to embrace the rich Punjabi culture of the generations of families who have immigrated to Canada, specifically in British Columbia, through creative writing in the Punjabi language.
Thanks to the presenting sponsor, Coast Capital Savings, the Dhahan Prize Youth Award will be giving eight (8) cash prizes valued at $500 to youth who are currently enrolled in grade 11 or 12 Punjabi language classes. Four (4) in each of two classifications: (I) Intermediate Skill and (II) Advanced Skill.
The eight winning stories will be published in an anthology that will be widely available.
The following are the eligibility requirements for Dhahan Prize Youth Award participants:
- Participant must be a student currently attending high school in British Columbia
- Participant is currently in grade 11 or 12.
- Participant is currently enrolled in, and is attending, a Punjabi language program in either a public or private school.
- Participant must sign an affidavit attesting that the work they submit is their own original creation.
- Participant must have a teacher sponsor who will sign the application form, thereby attesting that the work is the original creation of the participant.
The following are the eligibility requirements for Dhahan Prize Youth Award creative writing work submitted:
- Work must be original work of the participant
- Work must be written in Gurmukhi or Shahmukhi.
- Work must be a short story of 800-1000 words in Punjabi.
- Work must be translated into English; the participant must do the translation.
- Both Punjabi & English works to be submitted in pdf document format.
- Works must be submitted on or before May 31st.
- Works to be submitted via email to email@example.com with the subject line “DHAHAN PRIZE YOUTH AWARD SUBMISSION”.